Looking for a way to use up the last of your garden zucchini. Well, look no further. I got this recipe from Carl’s grandmother, and it is surely a keeper. A bonus is that it is a hit with the kids too!
3 eggs, beaten until foamy
2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
2 cups peeled & grated zucchini
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
chopped nuts, if desired
Beat eggs until foamy. Add sugar, oil, zucchini, and vanilla. Mix together well. Add all of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix all of the ingredients together until well blended. Grease or spray with non-stick cooking spray two loaf pans. Divide batter evenly between the two loaf pans. Cook at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until a toothpick in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool in pans for 5-10 minutes before attempting to turn them out to cool.
- Use nuts if desired. I would use chopped pecans or walnuts.
- Substitute unsweetened apple sauce for the oil to lower the fat and to make it healthier. When I do this with my recipes, I really can’t tell any difference.
- This recipe can be doubled with great results.
- Instead of loaves you can make mini-muffins, regular sized muffins, and jumbo muffins.
- This bread as well as the muffins freeze really well. Just pop the frozen muffin in the microwave for about 30 seconds for a regular size muffin. Another idea is to set out the frozen loaf on the counter in a sealed container to thaw overnight. It will be ready to eat in the morning.