I came up with this recipe when I was training for the half-marathon I ran back in 2012. It is lean, filling, and I love it. I love the combination of the sweetness of the pineapple coupled with the crunch of the celery. I also use the left over pineapple juice from the pineapple tidbits to lessen the amount of mayonnaise I have to use in the recipe.
Lean Chicken Salad
- One (12.5 oz) can cooked chicken in water, drained
- One (8 oz) can pineapple tidbits, drained & juice reserved
- One celery stalk, sliced
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons of reserved pineapple juice
- Place the drained chicken in a small bowl. Use a fork, if needed, to break up the chunks of chicken into shreds. Add drained pineapple, celery, mayonnaise, celery seed, and salt & pepper, to taste. Add one tablespoon of pineapple juice at a time to get the moisture you like in your chicken salad.
- Enjoy immediately or store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.