Update After Sinus Surgery

I wanted to give everyone an update on how I was doing and let you know how my surgery went.

As I wrote about last week in I Am Heading In For Surgery, I went into surgery last week on Tuesday.  The surgery I had was to clear up two blockages I had in my right sinuses as well as to do a septoplasty which is a fancy name for fixing my deviated septum which involved removing some cartilage and bone.  The doctor also did some work on my turbinates to reduce the size of those.    

Carl was out of town so I knew I was in need of some help.  Carl’s parents were so kind as to come and help me.  I am not sure what I would have done without them really!

When I went in for surgery on Tuesday, my doctor was delayed almost an hour of my scheduled surgery time.  As Carl’s parents and I sat and talked about the obvious delay, I later realized it was a God send.  During that hour that we waited, the school called to say that Lauren was at school throwing up.  Linda and Larry had to leave me there so that they could go and pick Lauren up who was sick at school.  If they had not been there, I would have been scrambling to find someone to go get Lauren at school.  How thankful I was they were there!

Linda picked me up after surgery.  I came home to Lauren quarantined downstairs in hopes that I would not get her sickness.  It was beyond my comprehension to get a stomach bug where I would be throwing up after my surgery.  

The surgery was a success.  My doctor said the blockages on the right side were infected so he cleaned all of that out.  I was told that I might have lots of pressure when I came out of surgery, but I can actually say there was less pressure than what I have been living with on a daily basis for the last few months.  I could already tell the difference in the sinus blockages.

I am now just taking one day at a time.  I have been surprised at how wiped out I feel and how weak I have been.  I realize in hind sight I was unrealistic about how soon I would be back on my feet.  My doctor told me to clear my schedule for a week, and I had friends who pressured me to set up meals for a week.  I thought it was going overboard, but now I am so glad they are doing it for me.  I really needed it!

It is that time of year when things get so busy.  The to do list seems to at least double, and here I sit feeling like all I would like to do is sleep about 16 hours out of the day.  There is much to do, and I teeter back and forth between stressing out about not getting things done and realizing that some things might have to slide this year.  As much as I hate it, some things will have to slide.  Some appointments might have to be cancelled.  Some traditions might not get done this year.  Some help might need to be accepted.

I want to thank everyone who has called or texted or emailed me to let me know you are thinking and praying for me.  I felt so covered in prayer especially the day of the surgery and even told my doctor that there were lots of people praying over my surgery.  Knowing that he is a Christian too, he squeezed my hand and said, “We will take all the help we can get.”  So, thanks to all who have prayed, and I humbly ask for your continued prayers.  I am not fully well.  Please pray for energy for my body and healing to my nose and facial area which still feels very sore, achy and numb.  My thanks and love to all!

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *